Places of Interest
It was in 1895 that cars first began to appear on roads in Britain, but the landscape at the time was not particularly suitable for the new machines.
Over the next 100 years, towns and cities throughout Britain (and the countryside, too) were re-shaped with new roads, systems of traffic control, and special new buildings (garages, car parks, service stations etc), all designed to facilitate greater use of the car.
The first, the last, the largest and smallest of these are remembered in this section, as are some of the other places, outside manufacturing and sport, which have played a part in the development of Britain’s motoring history.
Kenilworth, Kenilworth Castle
Kensington, Kensington High Street
Ketteringham, Ketteringham Hall
King's Cross, King's Cross Station
Lickey , Lickey Grange
Lincoln, Brayford Wharf
Longbridge, Austin Village
Markham Moor, A1 - A57 Junction
Mawan Smith, Trebah
Mayfair, Albermarle Street
Mayfair, Devonshire House
Mayfair, Oxford Street
Mexborough , Alexandra Road
Mill Hill, Parkside
North Witham, RAF North Witham
Perranporth , Riley Garage
Perranporth , St George's Hill
Perranporth , St Michael's Mission Church
Perranzabuloe, The Church of St Piran
Preston, The M6 motorway
St John's Wood, Avenue Road
Tunbridge Wells, The Agricultural Showground
Wappenbury, Wappenbury Hall
Warwick, The Old Cinema
• Twentieth Century Industrial Archaeology, Michael Stratton and Barrie Trinder, E & FN Spon, 2000.
• Carscapes, the motor car, architecture and landscapes in England, Kathryn A Morrison and John Minnis, Yale University Press, 2012.