St Mary’s Church
The final resting place of John Godfrey Parry-Thomas, engineer, racing driver and holder of the world land speed record, 27th April 1926 - 4th February 1927.
124 Church Rd, Byfleet, West Byfleet KT14 7NF.
The church is thought to date back to the 14th Century.
After his untimely death at Pendine Sands in South Wales during his attempt to raise the world land speed record, Parry-Thomas’s body was buried in the grounds of St Mary’s Church, Byfleet, close to where he lived at the Bungalow in Brooklands.
In his biography of Parry-Thomas, Mark Berresford explains that shortly after his death it was revealed that Parry Thomas had endowed a cot at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children, in London, for £50 - payment that he had received for a radio broadcast and for exhibiting his record-breaking car ‘Babs’ on the London department store, Selfridges.
• Parry Thomas and Pendine, Mark Berresford, Connor and Butler, 1985.