RAF North Witham
Twyford Wood, immediately east of the A1, and south of the A151, about eight miles south of Grantham.
1961 - 1962.
Although commissioned as an RAF base in 1943, North Witham served as a station for US forces for much of the War.
In 1945 it was returned to RAF control, and closed in 1956. For two years, from 1961 – 1962, it served as a test facility for BRM after the company’s former base at Folkingham was re-opened by the RAF as a base for the Thor Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile.
Today the site is known as Twyford Wood. It is owned and maintained by the Forestry Commission as an ancient woodland site.
BRM's former test facility.