Skip to main content

Britain By Car - A Motoring History

Lincoln

The county town of Lincolnshire and home to the third largest cathedral in Britain which, until 1549, when the central tower blew down, was the tallest building in the world.

Traces of medieval Lincoln can still be seen today at the top of the hill, in the area around the Cathedral and Castle.  Below this, lies the older industrial areas of the city, a modern shopping centre, and the university.

A former garage and showroom with a striking roof design.

Location
Lucy Tower Street and Brayford Wharf North, Lincoln LN1 1YX

Date
1959

A privately owned museum, run by the Lincolnshire Vintage Vehicle Society.

Location
Lincolnshire Road Transport Museum, off Doddington Road, Whisby Road, North Hykeham, Lincoln LN6 3QT

Date
1959 – present

A long-established cycle and motor dealer who marketed both bicycles and cars under the name of Stonebow.

Location    
88 Bailgate, Lincoln, LN1 3AR; 29-31, Mint Street, Lincoln, LN1 1UB; and 12, Newland, Lincoln, LN1 1XD.

Date    
1897(?) – c2000