Britain By Car - A Motoring History

Cowley

The industrial centre of Oxford, located two miles south east of the city.

W.R.M Motors Ltd

The site of William Morris’s first car factory.

Location
Old Military College, Garsington Road, Cowley.

Date
1912/3 – c1992.

Continue Reading

Morris Motors Ltd

The main Morris factory for the greater part of the 20th century.

Location
The North Works and South Works, Morris Motors Ltd, Cowley,

These were situated on the west side of the Eastern By-Pass Road, the A4142, and separated by Garsington Road, the B480.

Date
Constructed 1921-1922, closed in 1992, and demolished 2001-2002

Continue Reading

Pressed Steel

Lightbox Image

The metal car body and pressings plant, originally established by William Morris.

Location
Eastern Bypass Road, Cowley, OX4 6NL.

Date
1926 - 1993.

Continue Reading

The Oxfordshire Record Office

Lightbox Image

Originally, a church built for the parishioners of Cowley and workers at the Morris Motors car factory.

Location
Oxfordshire Record Office, St Luke’s Church, Temple Road, Cowley, OX4 2HT.

Date
1938 - date

Continue Reading

The Church of St Francis

Lightbox Image

A church built on land donated by William, Lord Nuffield, who laid the foundation stone in 1930.

Location
The Church of St Francis, 226 Hollow Way, Cowley, OX3 7JF.

Date
1930 - date

MINI

Lightbox Image

One of three factories in the UK where BMW’s MINI is produced.

Location
MINI Plant Oxford, Eastern Bypass Road, Cowley, OX4 6NL.

Date
2001 - date.

Continue Reading