Britain By Car - A Motoring History

Aldermaston

 A large village, situated just off the Bath Road, between Reading and Newbury.  

Today Aldermaston is often associated with the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, built on the site of the former RAF base at Aldermaston, and the destination of anti-nuclear weapons marches, particularly during the 1950s and 60s.

Britain’s first petrol station

Lightbox ImageToday, the site of Britain’s first petrol station is a lay-by on the A4 Bath Road, with no indication of its historical significance.

Location    
On the northern side of the Bath Road (A4), close to the junction with Station Road and Grange Lane, and today marked by a lay-by.  The spot lies about two miles from Aldermaston village, and approximately one third of a mile from Aldermaston Wharf.

Date    
From November 1919 until at least 1925.  The station’s official opening is believed to have taken place in March 1920.  

Continue Reading