A little-known marque, manufactured in premises close to Doncaster town centre.
E W Jackson Ltd, Cheswold Works, 51-52 French Gate, Doncaster, close to the site now occupied by a Tesco Superstore, alongside Doncaster Minster (formerly the parish church of St George).
Engineers, E W Jackson produced their first car in 1910/11, named the Cheswold, after a nearby river (reputedly, the shortest river in Britain).
About 100 Cheswold cars were built, with a 15.9 h.p four cylinder, 2.6 litre engines. Almost all were of a four-seater tourer design, with the radiator located between the engine and dashboard, giving the car an appearance not unlike some of the Renaults of the time. A small number of Cheswolds were built as ambulances.
Production ceased with the outbreak of war, when the company took on work for the Government. At the end of hostilities, E W Jackson Ltd continued to operate as a motor engineer and garage, and later became an agent for Morris cars. The business ceased trading in 1983.
The Museum and Art Gallery on Chequer Road, in Doncaster has the only remaining Cheswold on permanent display.