Charles Clark & Sons, The Retford Motor Garage, 48 Bridgegate, Retford
Charles Clark had the first garage in Retford and the first licence to sell petrol. His first premises, it is believed, was a cycle business on Moorgate, which he established in 1895. About five years later, he moved to the south side of nearby Bridgegate, where Trinity Place now stands; and in 1901 built a four-wheel car, converted from a De Dion Bouton tricycle, and powered by a 2.7 h.p De Dion Bouton engine.
The vehicle almost certainly did not go into production, but Charles Clark remained for many years closely connected with the automobile trade in Retford; running a taxi and coach service, along with a petrol station, garage and car dealership. The garage building, built around 1910 and located at 48 Bridgegate, opposite his earlier premises, is still standing, although now in a rather neglected state.
There is a picture of Charlie Clark and his car in Brian Waters' and Richard English's book, below.
• Made in Nottinghamshire: the motor manufacturing heritage, Brian Waters and Richard English, Nottinghamshire County Council, 2013.