Britain By Car - A Motoring History

Tongland

A small village on the west bank of the river Dee, about 2 miles north of Kirkcudbright.

In the Middle Ages, Tongland was home to a medieval monastic community, and the remains of the Abbey are still visible from the stone arch bridge that crosses the Dee, built in 1806 by Thomas Telford – his first major bridge in Scotland.

Since the 1930s the banks of the river have also been home to a hydro-electric power station, now a listed building.

Galloway Motors Ltd.

Lightbox Image

An early motor manufacturer that produced one of the first cars designed specifically with women in mind. 

Location
Galloway Motors Ltd, Culdoach Road, Tongland, Kirkcudbright, DG6 4LU.

Date
1920-22

Continue Reading