Skip to main content

Britain By Car - A Motoring History

Tagg's Island

Just upstream from Hampton Court, Tagg’s Island takes its name from Thomas Tagg, a highly respected local waterman and boat builder.  In the 1870s, he built a new hotel on the Island, creating in the process a playground for the wealthy.  Despite several changes in ownership, the Island remained a popular resort for almost 50 years.  Today it is home to about 100 residents living on houseboats.

A.C Cars Ltd.

Originally set up by A.C during the Second World War, the works on Tagg’s Island are probably best known for the production of their three-wheeler invalid cars, which for many years were an important part of the company’s sales.  

Location
Tagg’s Island, Hampton Court, Middlesex. 

Date
1941 – 1960s.