Britain By Car - A Motoring History

Speke

Situated on the north bank of the River Mersey, about eight miles south east of the centre of Liverpool, Speke was a small agricultural village until well into the 20th century.

In 1928, the Liverpool Corporation bought the Watt family estate, including Speke Hall, and used the land to develop new factories, housing estates, and an airport.

The first factory was completed in 1934 and by 1939 more than 1600 homes had been built.  By the 1960s it had become a prosperous area, with good housing, jobs, and local facilities.  However, all of these were adversely affected by the unemployment of the late 1970s and 80s.  Over the last 20 years, the area has undergone a considerable revival.