The former GWK factory, shared with Marendaz.
Streamline Cars Ltd, Cordwallis Works, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead.
1930 – 1934
When the former airship base near Howden in Yorkshire closed in 1930, the manufacture of the Burney Streamline was moved south to Maidenhead.
Over a period of six years, twelve of the rear-engined streamlined cars were made at the Cordwallis Works. Three different engines were used – a 3-litre 8-cylinder Anglo-Belgian Beverley-Barnes engine, a 3.2-litre Armstrong Siddley engine and, in the final car, a 4.4-litre American Lycoming engine.
The cars manufactured in Maidenhead were built largely for promotional purposes. The company’s founder and designer Sir Dennistoun Burney hoped that his ideas, particularly in respect of the car’s aerodynamic design, would find favour with some of the more mainstream motor manufacturers. But this proved to be a difficult task.
Although companies like Standard and Hillman introduced an element of streamlining during the 1930s, the only direct legacy of the Burney Streamline was the adoption of some elements of its design by Crossley in their own Streamline car.
Burney production ended in 1934. However, Sir Dennistoun continued his work as a designer, particularly in the field of armaments. He died in Bermuda in 1968.
• The Burney Streamline Car, Bernard J Nield, Howden Civic Society, 2008