Britain By Car - A Motoring History

King's Cross

Located about two miles to the north of central London, and originally known as Battlebridge, King’s Cross is named after a statue and building erected between 1830 and 1836 to the memory of King George IV.  Its exact location was at the junction between York, Pentonville, and Euston Roads.

The building and statue were deeply unpopular and relatively short-lived; by 1845, the statue and building had both been demolished.  In 1852, the present main station building was constructed, adjoining the site of the original statue, retaining the new name of King’s Cross.