Britain By Car - A Motoring History

Howden

A small market town in the East Riding of Yorkshire, located about three miles north of Goole. 

Much of Howden’s early history was associated with the church, originally as a southern outpost for the Prince Bishops of Durham. Work on the construction of the Minster was begun in the 13th century and, for the following 200 years, the town was a centre of pilgrimage. 

In 1548, under the Reformation, the Minster became dissolved, and the building began to fall in disrepair.  However, part of the old Minster is still used today as Howden’s parish church of St Peter and St Paul.

During the 18th and 19th centuries, Howden had the largest annual horse fair in Britain and, in the early 20th century, it became a base for the short-lived national airships' programme.