Britain By Car - A Motoring History

Hereford

A cathedral city located on the banks of the River Wye. 

It is thought that there has been a cathedral in Hereford since the city was founded around 700AD, but most of the present building dates from the 12th century.  Amongst the many treasures in the Cathedral is the finest of only four surviving exemplars of the 1217 Magna Carta, along with the mappa mundi, depicting the world as it was seen in the late 13th century.

The Cathedral also contains the largest chained library in the world, containing about 1,500 books dating from around the year 800 to the early 19th century.

The Hereford Speed Trials

One of the last speed trials to take place in England on public roads.

Location 
Rotherwas Road (the B4399), which passes through the Rotherwas Industrial Estate on the south east side of Hereford, today known as the Straight Mile.
Also, Whitecross Road (the A438), to the north west of the city, on the main road between Hereford, Ross-on-Wye and Brecon.

Date
1922, 1924 and 1925

Continue Reading