Britain By Car - A Motoring History

Alexandria

The largest town in the Vale of Leven, connecting Loch Lomond and the Clyde.  Until the early 18th century the area was predominantly a farming community, but the abundance and purity of the local water supply gave rise to the development of bleaching, dying and printing industries.  The opening of the railway line to Glasgow in 1858 helped to expand industry in the area, but the 20th century saw the town’s gradual industrial decline. 

Argyll

Lightbox Image

The Argyll works in Alexandria was, at one time, the largest car factory in Europe.

Location
Argyll Motors Ltd, Main Street, Alexandria G83 0UG  

Date
1906 – 1914

Other locations
Bridgeton, Strathclyde

Continue Reading